Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A Quiet View of the Castelo in Braga, Portugal


A Quiet View of the Castelo in Braga, Portugal
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

During my first trip to Portugal, Mauro showed me a garden and this castle in the center of town in Braga. I took a quick picture even though the sun was about to set. (It was October, but flowers were still in bloom.) I captured the fading light on the castle, but there were some problems with the image, which was disappointing because it is such a nice memory. For one thing, I had taken the picture with someone standing in front of one of the arches. Tonight I decided to see what I could do about it. First I rotated and cropped the image, then I opened it in Painter IX and made a copy of it. I cut and paste to create an empty archway, then used digital pastel to enhance the illusion. Now the image matches my memory of the magic of Portugal and the surprise of finding a castle downtown.

No comments: