Saturday, April 19, 2008

Passover Parsley (Digital Woodcut)

Passover Parsley (Digital Woodcut) Originally uploaded by randubnick

I always buy a big bunch of parsley for Passover. I love the taste of parsley and I always eat any that comes my way! But I also love the way it looks! This image began as a photo that I took of a bunch of parsley on my kitchen counter. I decided to make the photo into a digital woodcut with Painter IX to emphasize the texture of the leaves. Then I used a gentle color overlay on the background. This may sound like a lot of trouble for something that is usually just a garnish, easily overlooked. But on Passover, parsley becomes part of the rituals of the seder. (It is dipped in salt water, combining the hope of spring and the remembrance of tears). Ritual, like art, can call our attention to things that we ordinarily overlook.

No comments: