Friday, June 27, 2008

Fabric Flowers and Vase (Day 1)

Fabric Flowers and Vase (Day 1) Originally uploaded by randubnick

I have posting projects from the fiber arts class I have been taking at Red Brick. Last night I posted a felting project that was a disappointment for me. So tonight I am posting the project that I am most excited about. This is a work in progress that I started last Monday night, the last session of the class. We learned to make mosaics or collages out of cloth. The result looks like applique, but no sewing is involved, (although quilting or embroidery can be added for decoration). The process is iron a sticky backing on to fabric, cut the pieces of fabric out and arrange them on a background fabric, and iron them to make them stick. I decided to do a still life because the imagery is familiar and something I can produce from imagination. I noticed some blue and white printed fabrics that reminded me of Chinese porcelain pottery, so I decided on a blue and white vase, and some rosy purple fabric for the flowers. Although I already had a basic idea in mind, the instructor suggested sketching first with tailor's chalk, so I did a very general sketch. (The white lines of the chalk are still visible.) I have been making collage with paper, so creating an image out of pieces of fabric was familiar, but I did have to get used the mechanics of the process. But I have to say that this is the most fun I have ever had with an iron!!! I loved doing this, and I can hardly wait to get more fabric and backing so I can complete this project on my own.

No comments: