Wednesday, September 10, 2008

View of Mountains from Lake Placid 2

View of Mountains from Lake Placid 2 (Originally uploaded by randubnick)

This is a closer crop of the image I posted two days ago, a view of the Adirondack Mountains seen from a hotel terrace in Lake Placid. When photographing a scenic view, my impulse is often to photograph the widest possible view. But I have learned that it is usually more effective to crop out a small part of the scene. The tighter the crop, the better the result, and the paradox is that somehow the cropped version often conveys a better sense of the scene. I am in no hurry to leave the peace of Lake Placid. So in the face of the turbulence of the current election, and the memories of September 11, 2001, tomorrow I will post just one more peaceful view of Lake Placid, the posterized version of this image. Then it will be time to move on.

No comments: