Sunday, July 01, 2012

Composition with Square Grate (Digital "Print")

The images I have been posted for the past few days all began with a photo of a square metal grate that I noticed while I was sitting on a park bench. Yesterday I used Painter 12 to make the image into a pattern (which I am already using to make things like cases for electronic gear on Zazzle.com). Tonight I decided to load the pattern into Painter's pattern pen, and created this "digital print". (It isn't really a print, but these images remind me of mono prints, so that's what I call them.) I use a big "brush" loaded with the pattern, and get the strokes where I want them (not easy!) and then posterize the result. That's a big simplification, but it's the basic idea. Using the pattern pen like this reminds me of running an inked brayer over paper. Anyway, I liked the result, and here it is.

No comments: