Thursday, November 08, 2012

Colorado Drawings: To Vail (Version 2)

This image is part of a series I have been working on, new drawings of the Colorado mountains based on line drawings from an old sketchbook that I took along on a trip to my home state back in the mid-1980s. My travel sketchbook was small (5 x 8 inches) so I could take it out when I was in the passenger seat and make quick sketches of the mountains as we drove along. Sometimes I would note the location. So I have been scanning those old sketches into my computer, and generating copies that I can trace into a new sketchbook (also 5 x 8 inches). (The original sketch is posted here on September 12, 2012.) Then I draw back into the sketch, adding new shapes (horizontal and vertical lines) as well as color, with marker, colored pencil, and colored conte crayon. This is the second version I have done of this sketch; you can see the earlier version posted here on September 14, 2012. Well, I still like the earlier version. In this new version I changed the placement of the vertical and horizontal lines to put more emphasis on the shapes of the mountains. I also added some warm yellows and that old Colorado dusty rose.

No comments: