Saturday, December 29, 2012

Colorado Drawings: Georgetown (Final)

This is part of a series of small drawings I have been working on, based on quick pencil sketches that I made during a drive through the Colorado mountains, during a trip back home in the 1980s. From the passenger seat, I captured quick line drawings in a small (5 x 8 inch) travel sketchbook. Sometimes I wrote the location in the corner. This year I found the old sketchbook, and have been scanning and copying the drawings, and then tracing them into a new sketchbook (also 5 x 8 inches). Then I add color with mixed media. This is actually my third attempt at the Georgetown sketch. I posted the original on Nov. 10, and attempt #1 on Nov. 16 and attempt #2 on Nov. 23. I liked those earlier attempts, but I want to emphasize line over shape. So I tried again. This time, I used a narrower range of colors on the mountains, and I was happier with the result. So I think this is it for the Georgetown drawing. I have included "final" in the title because enough already; it is time to move on. But I still might make small revisions. This is colored pencil, colored conte crayon, and fine-line marker.

No comments: