Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Reflections (Oil Bar Painting as of July 17, 2013)

I worked on this oil bar painting again today. This landscape is based on a photo that I took last summer at Bradley Palmer State Park
. (The reference photo is posted here July 15.) This morning I continued to work on placement and composition. I started with the goal of correcting the placement of the foliage on the four main trees that are going to be the focus. I wanted to bring the foliage down because it looked like it was too high on the canvas. I was able to check because I had drawn a simple nine-cell grid on the printout of the photo, and had also marked off a matching nine-cell grid on the canvas (I used blue painter's tape on the side edges of the canvas). So I started moving things around, paying attention to negative shapes. I introduced new colors just to keep me from getting lost in the woods. (The colors you see here are not the final colors.) It took me about an hour to get the painting to this point, but I think the time was well spent, because those trees are really important to the whole composition.

No comments: