Monday, April 11, 2016

Tulips as of Apr. 11, 2016 (Porter Mill Challenge #2)


I made a beginning with this drawing today.  This is another still life done with conte crayon. This is for week 2 of the Porter Mill Challenge; some of the artists who have studios at Porter Mill are participating in a challenge to produce one piece of art a week for four weeks.  The results can be shown at Porter Mill in May. I am doing four still life drawings, each of flowers on a patterned tablecloth. (I bought the tulips today so I could draw them.)  It took me a while to get this drawing underway. Because I want all four drawings to work as a set, I wanted to work out the layout so that they would look good together. So I want the horizon line to be in roughly the same place, and the scale to be similar.  I also want each drawing to have a slightly off-center composition, balanced by a vertical in the background. This time, I decided to use a checkered cloth, and I did a lot of measuring today.  I also marked the dark squares so I won't make a mistake when I am putting in the color.  Once I had the layout organized, I did a rough sketch of the tulips and vase.  That's as far as I could take this today, but so far I am happy with this drawing.

No comments: