Friday, January 20, 2017

Portrait of Us (Painting as of Jan. 20, 2017)


Late this afternoon, I finally had a chance to work on this project.  I am painting a portrait of this couple, using acrylic paint on canvas (14 x 18 inches).  I am working from their vacation photo which shows them in Greece, riding on a motorbike and wearing sunglasses and helmets.  In December, I did a pencil sketch as preparation, to get to know the faces. (The pencil sketch is posted here, December 14, 2016). I traced the main lines of the pencil sketch onto the canvas as a way to begin, and then switched to acrylic paint. Since then, I have been working on thin layers of paint, using only brown and white. Today I kept going in brown and white, make small changes, still using only brown and white.  I concentrated on the faces, looking for dark and light areas.  When I got stuck, I turned the canvas and the reference photo upside down because that always helps.  I also made a few changes to the woman's helmet.  Although each change was small, I think the changes are beginning to add up, and the likeness is coming along.  

No comments: