Thursday, May 17, 2018

Colorado Snow Day (As of May 18, 2018)


This morning I kept going with this painting.  I am painting a lot of mountains lately, preparing for a show in July at Galatea in Boston. This is another of the "Mountain Daydreams" that I am going to show: landscapes created from my imagination and my memories of the Colorado mountains.  In this one, I am trying to capture the combination of brilliant snow and bright blue sky that I remember as the best of snow in Colorado.  This morning I added some very pale (almost white) blue paint towards the bottom of the painting, to create shadow.  Then I mixed some iridescent paint into titanium white and began to apply it, doing a bit of blending as I went along.  I also kept moving the painting into strong light to see what the iridescent effect would do.  Then I added an opaque white wash to the sky to lighten it a bit. This is almost done, just a few small things to fix tomorrow.  This is acrylic paint used as water media, on Aquabord, 16 x 20, 


No comments: