Saturday, March 02, 2019

Dancers (Painting) Detail of Man's Face Mar. 2, 2019


I worked some more on this painting today.  This is a detail of a double portrait of two figures dancing.  I am working from a photo, so today I began at the computer.  I opened the photo on the computer, cropped and enlarged the faces in the photo. Then I applied a woodcut effect (without black) because this exaggerates shadows and shapes.  I printed this out, and then I got to work on the canvas.  Several times I upended both the canvas and the printout of the photo, which often helps as well.  I don't have a likeness yet, but it's getting better. Sometimes I think making art is just making mistake after mistake, trying to get closer to what you have in mind, and then if you are very lucky, sometimes you get there.  To be continued. . .

No comments: