Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Estes Park Memory (Digitally Modified Photo)


Looking through old photos, I recently found a little yellow album with a set of small photos marked September 1956.  Most of the photos are  from a trip I took with my aunt, uncle, cousin, and grandma.  The photos are only 2 inches on a side, and in black and white, but I there are some nice images of the mountains, usually in the background.  Since the title of my next show is "Colorado Memories," I decided to use one of these little black-and-white photos as a reference for my next painting.  I have very strong memories of this trip, probably my first extended trip into the mountains. But these are the memories of an eight-year-old, so I am not sure exactly where this photo was taken. But since this photo was taken sometime during our trip to Estes Park, I am going to call the painting "Estes Park Memory". Today I scanned one of the photos and used Painter's cut and paste to obscure images in the foreground of myself, my cousin, and my grandma. Then I adjusted the line of the mountains with cut-and-paste to make the composition work for a 16 x 20 format. Finally  I added some soft color with digital pastel and color overlay.  Now this is ready to use as a painting reference.

No comments: