Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Porto Hillside Near San Luis Bridge (Watercolor) as of July 14, 2020


I worked on this project again this morning.  Last summer, I took a walk over the San Luis Bridge in Porto with Mauro Maschkvich, whose photo of this scene inspired this painting.  I adapted his photo to use as a painting reference (posted here July 6).  Today I began by lifting some color from the walls and vines to add more light and to suggest texture. I made other small changes, but the big decision I made was in how to handle the foreground.  In my photo reference, in the foreground there is an abandoned building with no roof, and ivy growing over the interior walls.  It is a very interesting view, but I thought it would be too confusing in this painting. Suddenly I had the idea of just painting the roof back on that building! It fit perfectly and I liked the idea because I love the clay rooftops of Portugal. To be continued. . . .

No comments: