Friday, August 28, 2020

My Dad with Three Sisters (Posterized Snapshot)



This is a picture of my father as a young man, photographed with three of his sisters: Gertie, Lena, and Rita. (My father was one of seven children. Not pictured: his sisters Matilda and Celia, and his brother Barney.) My father's birthday was August 28, so I am posting this today to mark the date. He is not the center of the image, but then he never cared about being the center of attention anyway. This image started as a digital reproduction of a very well-worn sepia-toned snapshot. My Aunt Rita sent me the digital image sometime in the late 1990s, so it was a very small file as well. But I liked this photo, so I cropped this image out of the snapshot, cleaned it up in iPhoto and Painter, and added a bit of posterizing. I also used a bit of digital pastel to draw into the image as well. All seven siblings are gone now, but I have great memories of all of them. It's nice to see them as they looked when they were young. I especially love the image of the shy young man who became my father. His memory is a blessing to me, as was his life.




1 comment:

Susan H said...

Love your stories, art, and photos, Randa. Hoping to find our shared connection, as we are DNA-related. Thanks for sharing!