Wednesday, November 11, 2020

"Raillard & Zagon Jan 45" (Posterized Photo)



On Veteran's Day, I often look through old photos for pictures of my dad during World War II. I usually look in my mother's old album. (My father was born in Brooklyn, but was stationed in Pueblo during WWII, and met and married my mother in the short time he was there, before heading overseas. While he was gone, my mother filled a photo album with photos from life at home in Pueblo as well as photos that he sent back from overseas). More recently, I have had an additional place to look: a collection of my father's old photos, sent to me a few years ago by my cousin Rori. That is where I found this photo today. This snapshot shows my dad with another soldier, standing in front of an apparently damaged building.  On the back of the photo, my father wrote: "Raillard & Zagon Jan 45".  From my Aunt Edy I have heard that Ray Raillard was a good friend of my father's when they were in the army. In the past I have not been able to to track down Ray Raillard or his family, but I will tag him here and see what happens. Looking though the other photos this morning, I saw another snapshot marked on the back with the logo of photo finishing company in Texas, which I believe is where Ray Raillard is from. That handwriting is different from my father's, very square and distinctive printing, and that handwriting also appears on a third photo that says "Leaving Cherbourg" date July 24, 1944. Is it possible that this photo was also taken in Cherbourg? I  wish I knew more about my dad's time in the army. But what I do know, what brings me to tears right now, is that I am grateful my father had a good friend when he was in the army. My father was a gentle, peaceful man who went overseas to do his bit against the Nazis, and he left his brand new wife to do it. He didn't say much about his experience when I was a kid, but I know he was afraid during the war because years later, when he was facing cancer surgery, he told me so. And so now when I am feeling afraid in these uncertain times, I remember that my father did his part to stand up to tyranny even though he was afraid.  And I will try to live up to his example.

No comments: