Sunday, January 03, 2021

Waldo Canyon Wildfire (Acrylic Watermedia) as of December 31, 2020



This is my most recent project as it look a few days ago, back on December 31. This is my attempt to paint the 2012 Waldo Canyon Wildfire, which took place just four miles from Colorado Springs. It caused deaths, evacuations, and damage to forest that was still visible in 2016 when I saw the scene and took pictures. I went back to those photos recently when I decided to paint the wildfire for an exhibit.  After looking at news photos on line, I created my painting reference, adding fire and smoke to my photo with  digital pastel. (Painting reference posted here December 22.) On New Year's Eve Day, I was struggling with the shapes in the foreground, but adding more definition to sky and distant hills. To be continued. . . .

No comments: