Tuesday, January 05, 2021

Waldo Canyon Wildfire (Acrylic Watermedia) as of January 2, 2021



My latest painting is a representation of the 2012 Waldo Canyon Wildfire, based on a photo that I took of the scene four years later, in 2016. Last month, when I decided to paint this scene, I added some digital "special effects" to my photo to create my painting reference (posted here December 22.)  So this is how my painting looked on January 2, just one day before it was due in Boston.*  That day, I was still adjusting the foreground shapes, and also muting the color.  Although I wanted to contrast living and dead vegetation, the greens in the foreground were too much, and I realized that the smoky sky would probably have modified the color anyway.  I also softened the shapes and colors in the sky.  When I took this photo of my painting, I was pretty happy with it, and anyway, it was due in Boston the next day.  So I removed the painter's tape that I use to protect the 2" birch frame (cradle) while I paint. I got out my toolkit and installed hardware and wire on the back. I labeled the back. I even signed it.  I thought I was done.  Until the next morning.  To be continued. . . .

*for a special "Heroes and Villains" show at Galatea Fine Art.  

No comments: