Wednesday, March 03, 2021

Kalimba and Lexi (Sketch for Painting) as of March 3, 2021



Today I continued working on the composition for my painting of these two lovely dogs.  I am sketching my composition right on the canvas with conte crayon, switching colors as I make corrections.  I don't often draw or paint dogs, but I am using what I have learned from years of figure drawing.  Today I refined the sketch, using the reference photo as a guide.  The composition is unusual because the faces are in the bottom part of the canvas, but it works in the photo so I am going with it.  Today I worked out placement, and found a solution for symmetry: although the dogs are in different positions, in my composition,  the nose of each dog is about 3.5 inches from the edge.  This is getting close to what I want, although I need to add more foreshortening.  

No comments: