Saturday, May 29, 2021

Making Jewelry with Aunt Edy (photo from 2008)



My Aunt Edy started making jewelry at the age of 87, after cataract surgery.  She took some lessons at a jewelry store to learn the basics.  She had a great eye for color and design, and her jewelry was amazing.  We could talk about jewelry-making at length on the phone, and when I visited, we would make things together.  She taught me how to attach findings and clasps. Sometimes we worked on pieces together.  She made the necklace she is wearing in this picture. I chose the beads for the necklace she is working on here in this photo, but she put it all together and made it look good. Aunt Edy made and sold jewelry till she was just about 100.  Edy was like a second mother to me all my life, and I miss her for all kinds of reasons. It was a special gift to be able to connect with her by making jewelry together.  Posting this today because Aunt Edy was born on May 29th, and would have been 102 today.

No comments: