Saturday, November 27, 2021

Vinnie (Painting as of November 21, 2021)



Here is my painting of Vinnie as it looked on November 21, 2021 (last Sunday).  I am working from a photograph (reference posted here October 19th),  In the reference photo, the cat's eyes are in shadow, so there is very little, if any detail.  I assumed that Vinnie's eyes were brown or amber, but last Sunday I called the  person who commissioned this portrait and learned,  much to my surprise, that Vinnie has green eyes.  So I added some subtle touches of (dark) green to the eyes. And I don't want to "invent" too much when I am painting a portrait, I wanted to suggest a bit more detail to the eyes, so I used Painter to create a digital "closeup" of Vinnie's eyes at a much higher exposure. Vinnie's eyes still looked dark, but I could at least get a better idea of where the whites of his eyes were, and suggested a bit of that in my painting.   To be continued. . .

No comments: