Thursday, January 06, 2022

Flatirons in Winter (Painting as of December 27, 2021)



Here is my painting of the Flatirons in winter as it looked on December 27th. I started working on this painting that morning,  but for once I had the luxury of time so I returned to this project in the afternoon, and again at night. (I took this picture around 10 pm under artificial light, which is why the colors have a slightly yellow cast.)  I worked from my painting reference, a digitally modified version of a photo that I took in Boulder back in 1974.  I started by using pasted tissue paper to building the shapes of those huge outcroppings. (I hadn't planned to use pink, but I best remember the Flatirons turning pink at dawn. So when I saw the pink tissue paper, I had to use it.)  I also use pasted paper to create the shapes of the sky.  Then I used acrylic paint for the mountains.  To be continued. . .

No comments: