Monday, January 31, 2022

Mountain Drive 1956 (Inspiration for Painting)



I am getting ready for a solo show in March, all mountain landscapes inspired by memories and daydreams of the Colorado mountains, so  I have been mining for gold in old photo albums.  One of the treasures there: a tiny bound booklet of "Sparkletone Album Prints," a set of black and white photos, maybe 2 x 2.5 inches, all from a 1956 trip to the mountains. I have painted from this album at least once before, and I am returning to it again.  This was one of several big  trips that I took as a kid (well, big to me.)  I was 8 years old at the time, and traveling with my cousin Vicki, my Aunt Edy, my Uncle Bob, and Grandma Katz.*  Our main destination was Estes Park. These little pictures aren't labeled, so sometimes some detective work is called for.  But here we are heading into the mountains.  No doubt Uncle Bob was driving, with Aunt Edy in the passenger seat, and so she probably took this picture.  I love the idea of a kind of "collaboration" with her. The distant mountains and the rising road ahead appealed to me, so I decided to use this as inspiration for a painting.  But first I needed to make this into a workable painting reference. To be continued. . .

*I grew up with extended family living, my parents and myself, my aunt and uncle and their daughter--same age-and my grandmother.  My parents stayed home to "mind the store" for this trip.

No comments: