Monday, May 30, 2022

Dad in Uniform (Rescued Photo)



Memorial Day is to honor those who died in the war, so let me say at once that my father DID return from World War II. But I am posting this today to honor those who weren't as fortunate.  This among my father's photos, sent to me a few years ago by my cousin Rori. The photo was well worn, so I did a little retouching and digital editing in Painter.  The photographer was  J. Raoul Turner, who apparently took all the important photos until my uncle Ike Fitterman (dba Jay Phillips Studio) moved to Pueblo.  I love the 1940's embellishment on the cardboard frame. My parents met in Pueblo, Colorado, where my father was stationed.  They married shortly before he left to go overseas to do his bit against the Nazis.  The signature on this photo says, "To Ruth, With love, Hy".    When I saw this, I thought about all the signed pictures my parents exchanged before my Dad left. This brought to mind a quotation that I mentioned a few years ago on Memorial Day.  Here is the quotation by Ronald Reagan, cited by Al Franken : "They gave up two lives. The one they were living and the one they would have lived. When they died, they gave up their chance to be husbands and fathers and grandfathers. . .".  Looking at this signed photo makes me think that my father was very aware of everything he was risking as left for Europe.  Unlike many others, he did return, and as I said a few years ago, "My own life, my own family, resulted from that fact."   I am also grateful for the efforts of those who fought in World War II, many of whom did not make it back.  


No comments: