Thursday, October 12, 2023

Outcropping West of Denver (Photo Reference for Painting)



On October 12, I was already looking through photos and videos for an image for my next painting.  I found an image of an outcropping of a highway west of Denver.  I had been thinking about painting an outcropping, so I selected a section part of the background, and used the Painter program on my PC to add the texture and color.  When you drive into the mountains west of Denver, you see many rocky outcroppings,  artifacts of human construction. They are created when mountain highways are built, so they result from the construction that makes access to the mountains possible, and so I am grateful for that. But the outcroppings are also powerful evidence of how much the mountains have been changed for the sake of those highways.  These outcroppings are often quite striking, very beautiful in their own terms as they reveal the beauty of the rock within the mountains.

No comments: