Saturday, October 05, 2024

Cups and Saucers (Alice in Wonderland project), sketch on canvas (Oct. 5, 2024)



This is how my "Alice in Wonderland" project looked on October 5th, when I began to sketch out the layout on the canvas, using pencil and conte crayone. This is for the "Alice in Wonderland" show at Porter Mill Studios. The painting will be a quotation from the novel* combined with teacups and saucers for the Mad Hatter's tea party. I have already worked out the color scheme in a sketch made with sharpies (Posted here Sept. 20, 2024). I am using a  "musical chairs" color scheme, which I planned by choosing nine colors and then "counting off" each of the areas in each square (cup, cup interior, saucer, saucer edge, background).  At this point, it is hard to read the text, but my goal was just setting up nine squares (for cups and saucers) and the placement of the words.  To be continued. . . .

*In case you can't read the quotation, it is: "Take some more tea," the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly. "I've had nothing yet, "Alice replied in an offended tone, "so I can't take more." "You mean you can't take less," said the Hatter. "It is very easy to take more than nothing."

No comments: