Friday, August 28, 2026

Face to Face (My Dad and Me): Rescued Photo



A few days ago, while I was looking through a bunch of family photos, I came across a picture of me and my Dad. This was one of many wedding pictures taken by my Uncle Ike Fitterman, a very talented photographer.  He always did a great job of capturing people's faces and he certainly did that in this case. It was great to see myself face to face with my father.  But I could see why the photo hadn't made the cut for reprinting or framing.   This was taken in the Rabbi's office before the wedding began.  Unfortunately in the original photo, the background included a framed abstract painting, part of a wooden door, baseboard, and an electric outlet and wire.  I decided to try to rescue the photo.  I scanned it into my computer and opened it in Painter and simplified the background by drawing into the image with digital pastel, and finished up with some posterizing effect.  It was great to remember this moment, and also to feel that I was collaborating with my Uncle Ike. I suppose I could have saved this image to post next June for my wedding anniversary or on Father's Day. But I am posting this today to remember my  father, who was born on August 28.  

No comments: