Saturday, April 04, 2020

Chapter 1 - Courtship (Revisited)



I am posting this to mark the day my parents were married, April 4, 1943. Three years ago, I posted a colorized version of this photo.  Today I came across the same snapshot on my phone (in Google Photo) and decided to do something new with it.  Since the image was already on my phone, I tried out a number of filters on Prisma, adjusted the settings, and then transferred the image to my computer so I could do a bit more editing with Painter, and here it is. This is what I said about the original photo when I last posted it:  My mother kept an photo album that begins when she first met my dad, through their wedding a few months later, their honeymoon trip to NYC, and then photos that my dad sent back while he was overseas during WWII and photos of my mom's life in Pueblo until he returned. She kept all the photos in order, with captions and information written longhand in white ink on the black album paper. Today I found a snapshot right on the first page, the first picture of them when they began to date. My mother wrote, "Chapter I - Courtship: I met Private Hy Zagon at a USO Dance Thursday eve, January 21, 1943. We dated Friday & Saturday and it was on Sunday that these pictures were taken." On this page are eight photos, some she identifies as taken at Pueblo's City Park Zoo, and the rest taken at her house, "the Katz house," the house in which I grew up."   And what I said before still applies: "It was fun to spend time working on this, thinking about young love, familiar faces, and the street where I grew up."

No comments: