Sunday, May 10, 2020

Mom and Me (with Digital Color)


I don't have very many pictures of myself with my mom, maybe because she was camera-shy. So a few years ago,  I was very happy to find this one in the boxes of my father's photos sent to me by my cousin Rori. The occasion photographed was my birthday (I can tell from other photos that I have). Judging from the state of the kitchen, this was probably taken after the party. And from the other photos in the set, I can tell that the photographer was my uncle, Ike Fitterman.  I liked the photo so much that last year I posted the original black-and-white version for Mother's Day.  This year, I decided to add color to the image, using Painter's digital pastel and color overlay.  I do this because it is fun, but also because it is also a way of remembering her, a way of spending time with her.  As I choose the colors, I remember that she seemed to like bold plaids, and I notice that she seemed to be concentrating hard on getting that cake and ice cream in my mouth without spilling anything on my fancy ruffled pinafore and ruffled sleeves. 

No comments: