Monday, May 11, 2020

Sunlight on Japanese Andromeda


In May, we are usually taking walks at Long Hill Gardens to see what is blooming.  But this year, I am taking photographs closer to home, learning to appreciate what has been right in front of me all along.  About a week ago, I noticed the sunlight playing on this shrub, so I took a picture.  Apparently I have overlooked this shrub for years, and have never photographed it.  Is this because it blooms early, when the weather is still cold and rainy?  Maybe, but more likely it is because this shrub is usually upstaged by the rhododendrons planted nearby, which bloom a few weeks later with large, hot pink blossoms. But this shrub's tiny blossoms, pale pink bells, have a beauty of their own. The name of this plant is pieris japonica or Japanese Andromeda. We have lived in this house for decades, but this week I finally did a little detective work and learned its name. 

No comments: