Sunday, April 24, 2022

"Rio Rita, Brazilian Bacalhau", codfish project as of April 24, 2022



Over the past few days, I have applied gesso to my codfish "blank", so I will have a white, nonabsorbent surface to work on. And today I finally had a chance to really get this project started. This decorated codfish is for the Marblehead Festival of Art.  Every year, some 50 or so artists decorate wooden codfish which are displayed in Marblehead and then auctioned off to benefit Marblehead Festival of Art.  This year, I decided to use the black-and-white cobblestone design that you see on the promenades of Brazilian beaches, such as Copacabana beach.  And I decided to name my codfish "Rio Rita, Brazilian Bacalhau"*  I am doing this with collage, beginning with some gift bags (wrapping paper) that I bought on my last trip to Brazil.  I am tweaking the design to make it conform to the body of the fish, so there is a lot of cutting and pasting, and I am all over glue. I already see some things that need to be fixed.  My plan is to make the fins, head, and tail of the fish solid silver, either paint or collage, still to be decided.

No comments: