Monday, April 25, 2022

Rio Rita, Brazilian Bacalhau (Codfish project as of April 25, 2022)



Today I worked on this codfish, which I am decorating for the annual Cod Auction held by the Marblehead Festival of Art.  Every year, some 50 or so artists decorate wooden codfish which are displayed in Marblehead and then auctioned off. This year, I am decorating my codfish with the black-and-white cobblestone design seen on the promenades of Brazilian beaches, such as Copacabana beach, hence the name "Rio Rita, Brazilian Bacalhau"*  I recreated this pattern with collage, beginning with some gift bags (wrapping paper) that I brought home from my last trip to Brazil.  I had to tweak the design to make it work on the body of the fish, so there was already a lot of cutting, pasting, and glue involve.  My original plan was to make the fins, tail, and head silver, but today I had a change of plan.  I decided to create the head, fins, and tail with the same paper, cutting out the black and white parts of the paper to create the design.  This is a lot more work, but I thought it would look a lot better.  I can already tell you that yes, it is a lot more work, but I can also tell you that I already like the results. 

No comments: