Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Rosa (Codfish Project) as of April 18, 2023



I worked on this project today.  I am decorating a wooden codfish for the Marblehead Festival of Arts Cod Auction.  Participating artists are given a wooden codfish "blank" to decorate, and the decorated codfish are displayed in Marblehead, and then auctioned (online).  This year, I am decorating my fish with lattice and beach roses. The scientific name for the "beach rose" is rosa rugosa, so I have named my fish Rosa.  Yesterday I drew lines for the lattice on the wooden form, working from the cardboard pattern I had created.  Today I drew on the wooden form again, working out the placement of the flowers, drawing freehand but following the sketch I made yesterday on paper. This meant drawing on a gessoed surface with pencil. That can get messy so I was hoping not to have to make many changes, but while I was working, I decided modify my plan for the smaller areas. Although I could make the flowers fit, as planned, in some of the smaller spaces, I wanted it to be less crowded to enough of the background color would show through.  So for many of the smaller areas, I replaced a blossom with a rose-bud with just two leaves. That decision--plus several just plain mistakes--has left me with more erasing than I hoped for, which is annoying but worth it because I like the way the pattern is turning out. Anyway, the extra marks won't show after I apply color. I am getting excited to see how Rosa will look. . . To be continued.

No comments: