Friday, September 20, 2024

Cups and Saucers (Alice in Wonderland project), Color sketch



I am getting ready to paint for the "Alice in Wonderland" show at Porter Mill Studios. This is the sketch for the painting:  a quotation from the book* combined with teacups and saucers for the Mad Hatter's tea party.  I am planning a "musical chairs" color scheme,  which I determined by selecting nine colors and then "counting off" each of the areas in each square (cup, cup interior, saucer, saucer edge, background),  To complete this sketch, I had written the numbers and colors at the bottom of the page in pencil, and then added the colors with marker.  I had included my numbering scheme in an earlier post, but this time, I cropped the sketch to show just the actual plan for the painting.  (You can still see the numbering in this sketch, but the numbers won't show in the painting.) 
*In case you can't read the quotation, it is:  "Take some more tea," the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly. "I've had nothing yet, "Alice replied in an offended tone, "so I can't take more." "You mean you can't take less," said the Hatter. "It is very easy to take more than  nothing."

No comments: