Thursday, September 19, 2024

Cups and Saucers (Alice in Wonderland project) color sketch with numbers as of Sept. 18, 2024




This is the sketch for the painting I am planning for Porter Mill's upcoming "Alice in Wonderland" show. I am combining a quotation about the Mad Hatter's tea party with a repeated pattern of tea cups and saucers.  Yesterday I finished laying out the color, following the numbered color scheme seen here in pencil below the sketch.  (I simply numbered each shape in every position, so the colors of each area change in each square, mirroring the "music chairs" aspect of the tea party in the novel.) I used Sharpies and Sharpies creative markers for the color, and then used some white conte crayon to lighten and soften some of the colors.  When I complete the actual painting with this design, I will have more control over the colors.  So I plan to use this basic color scheme.  I was worried that in some cases there would not be enough contrast between some of the colors, but but I decided that I would solve that in each square by using a darker version of the saucer's color to outline where needed.  Perhaps you can see that I did that in this sketch.  So now I am feeling confident that this will work.  The next step is to get the canvas. . . .

No comments: