Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Self-Portrait in Maps


Self-Portrait in Maps
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

This collage self-portrait is made of maps of places that are important to me, places I have lived or visited (Colorado, Kansas, Portugal, Chicago, Brazil, etc.) This was an assignment for a collage class several years ago (pre-Belfast, which is why it is not included). I drew my face freehand, using an old photo as a reference, over a map of Colorado, and used maps for the hair, the figure, and the border at the top. I used cardboard and tape because this is about moving and change. I have moved often, and each time I was sad to leave, but each time I moved I also met people who became very important to me. The places and people I love became part of who I am, hence this image.

No comments: