Sunday, June 19, 2005

Chess Game


Chess Game
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

For Father's Day, I am posting this painting of my dad playing chess with my cousin back in the fifties, when we were kids. I did this painting almost ten years ago as a gift for my cousin. I used acrylics on paper, and worked from a black and white photograph that my cousin selected and sent to me. My Uncle Ike, who was a professional photographer, took the photo of his son and his brother-in-law, and in using my uncle's composition, I felt like we were collaborating. The chess game took place in the house where I grew up, and it was fun to try to reproduce the patterns of the drapery, the crazy lamp, and the reflections in the window. Art can't bring back the past, but sometimes it can let you do a little bit of time travel.

No comments: