Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Portrait in Progress, Preliminary Sketch as of September 14


Portrait in Progress, Preliminary Sketch as of September 14
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

I am going to paint a portrait of my friend's father, and last night I started a preliminary sketch, which is still a work in progress. I'm not satisfied with the resemblance yet and I know that I didn't quite catch his eyes, but I thought I would post the drawing as it is so far. Although the portrait is going to be a painting, I decided to start with a pencil sketch, working from a photo that my friend e-mailed to me. Last night, as I was drawing, I started to get a likeness -- but it looked more like my friend than his father! So I made some small changes and adjusted the width of the face. I hadn't really seen such a strong resemblance before, but then you do see differently when you draw.

No comments: