Saturday, February 11, 2006

Entryway of London Renaissance Chancery Court Hotel


Entryway of London Renaissance Chancery Court Hotel
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

I have been watching the Masterpiece Theater version of "Bleak House" on TV. I read the novel in graduate school and loved it! Tonight I joined Mel for a while as he watched the rebroadcast. Much of the novel revolves around the Chancery Court in London, and as we watched, I remembered that when we were in London, we stayed at the Renaissance Chancery Court Hotel. At the time, I wondered if there was a connection to Dickens, and liked to imagine there was. Alas, from what I can tell, the real Chancery Court was actually half a mile away from the hotel, and the hotel is in a building that was built in 1914. But that doesn't detract from the sense of romance and history that I felt in London, as I half expected to see characters from Dickens on every winding street and in every narrow courtyard. So tonight I cropped this image of the hotel entryway from my photo and decided to post it. Oh, and the Christmas Tree? Well, it was December. But then, isn't it always Christmas in a Dickens novel?

No comments: