Sunday, May 14, 2006

More Flowers for My Mom


More Flowers for My Mom
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

I was trying to find a photo of myself with my mother, but couldn't find too many. But I did find this one in an old album. Tonight I scanned it into the computer and cleaned up some scratches with Painter IX. Then I considered several ways to crop the image. I thought about eliminating the car, but I like the period feel and the dappled light on the lawn. I also considered cropping the opposite side, which was almost entirely dark in the original version. Instead, I decided to use Painter IX's tools to cut and paste the spirea that was visible in the photo, and put more of it in the dark area. Once I added more white flowers, I was happy with the composition, so didn't crop anything after all, not even the remaining shadow. And it is nice to find a way that I can still surround my mother with flowers on Mother's Day.

No comments: