Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Portrait as of May 9, A Post-Script


Portrait as of May 9, A Post-Script
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

This is a digitally modified version of a portrait that I painted for my friends. In February, I mailed the painting to them. But I had the painting scanned before I sent it because my friends want to make copies for family. Scanning turned out to be a good idea because it gave me a chance to make a post-script modification, to soften a small area of shadow that turned out to be distracting. If I still lived down the block, I could have run over and fixed the problem in five minutes (and maybe I can still do that on my next trip home.) But meanwhile, I was able to use Adobe Photoshop to modify the digital image of the scanned portrait, and here it is. Does it matter that I made the changes digitally? To me, that is less important than making sure my friends are at peace when they look at the portrait. Whether I used paint or pixels, this image is the work of my hand, start to finish.

No comments: