Sunday, June 25, 2006

Just One Planet Earth


Just One Planet Earth
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

I created this painting (and collage) back when I was in college at the University of Colorado. I did a series of paintings inspired by the moon landings. (Mel calls it my Star Trek series.) I wish I had more images of that series. This is acrylic paint used as water media, with the rising planet Earth cut from another piece of paper and pasted onto the surface. I am posting this because today Mel and I went to see "An Inconvenient Truth" which begins and ends with the first photo of the Earth seen from space. I haven't done any paintings in my planetary series in quite a while (but maybe I should!). although this basic composition still turns up in my landscapes as images of sun and mountains. But "An Inconvenient Truth" is a great reminder of what that first photo of Earth meant, and the commitment to the environment that came along with it for a lot of us back then. Like this old painting, that commitment needs to be dusted off and reconsidered (however inconvenient), because after all, there is just one planet Earth.

No comments: