Friday, July 21, 2006

Drawing from the Sixties (Pencil Sketch of Mel)


Drawing from the Sixties (Pencil Sketch of Mel)
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

I did this drawing of Mel back in the sixties, from his high school graduation photo. That means I did this as a sophomore in high school. (He was two years ahead of me in school.) You can see the signature says Randi Zagon (my maiden name). Mel went to South High School, while I went to Pueblo Central. I turned this drawing in as an assignment in my high school art class (can you believe that?), and I remember that Mr. Corty, the art teacher, put it in the trophy case in the hallway as "plate of the week". So that week, we had a South High senior on display in the trophy case at Central. Well, that seems like a long time ago, but some things don't change. (For example, I still love to draw portraits, and Mel is still older than I am.) Today, I took a digital photo of this drawing, and used Painter IX to clean up the image and "repair" a tear in the paper with some digital chalk. I am posting it today in recognition of Mel's birthday, which is no secret, because he announced it on his blog already.

1 comment:

CiarĂ¡n said...

Poor old Mel. Half-way to 120 and he still hasn't left school!