Monday, August 14, 2006

Blue Mountains Day 3


Blue Mountains Day 3
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

This is the painting I have been working on at Red Brick Studios. This is an acrylic/watermedia painting of the Colorado mountains. This is how it looked on Day 3 when I was finished. I started by adding a wash of gray to the sky, trying to get the soft colors of the thunderstorm. Then I added blue and gray to the bottom half of the painting, trying to suggest a lake. I added some strong pink to the bottom of the picture to suggest grasses at the edge of the water, and then outlined the mountains with some pink, working with a dry brush, with the intention of making the colors more intense. The result is not a realistic image of the Colorado mountains in a thunderstorm, but that is what happens when I paint from my imagination and memory. Still, these are colors I associate with Colorado, and there is something here of the feeling of seeing the Rocky Mountains in a rainstorm. I can never be sure that a painting is finished, but I am content with this one as it is.

No comments: