Saturday, September 30, 2006

Mountains in Clay (Tile in Progress)


Mountains in Clay (Tile in Progress)
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

Today I went to a coaster painting session at Red Brick. All the artists associated with Red Brick are painting small tile coasters which will be displayed and auctioned as part of a fundraiser later in the year. I made three little tile coasters today, all mountain images. I incised the image into the clay with a pointed tool, then painted with the glazes. I don't know how my little tiles will look once they are fired, and I may not find out for a month or two. But this photo shows what they look like right now. The goal is 100 coasters total for the group, and we are just getting started. I really had a good time, and hope to get to another coaster painting session soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Randi,
This is cool. Are these functional coasters? It seems like if you placed a glass on this, it might topple over.
Love, Mindy

Randa Dubnick said...

Thanks, Mindy! Yes, these are functional coasters. Maybe my photo created an optical illusion. The design is incised into clay, so the surface of the tile is flat. These can also be hung on the wall. Love, Randi