Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Chanukah Collage in Progress (Day 1)


Chanukah Collage in Progress (Day 1)
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

Yesterday I woke up with the idea of making a menorah with collage, to use for my Hanukah e-mail greetings this year. I was heading over to Red Brick Studios, but only had a short time to spend there, so I decided to get this collage started. (I always seem to begin with the delusion that collage is faster than painting.) I began by pasting brown pantone paper onto cardboard for the background. I also used pantone for the menorah, which was great because the paper has a grid on the back which made it pretty easy to cut the menorah in one piece. Originally, I was thinking of the little flat menorahs for children; those usually have the highest candle off to one side. But I decided to put the highest candle in the center, for the sake of the composition. Then I cut the candles out of some nubby pink paper. By the time I had those pieces cut out and pasted down, I was out of time for the day. But I couldn't resist pasting just one flame onto the collage, to see how it is going to look.

No comments: