Monday, December 18, 2006

Red Mountains and Field (Oil Bar Landscape as of December 18)


Red Mountains and Field (Oil Bar Landscape as of December 18)
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

I worked on this painting again tonight in the oil bar class I am taking at Red Brick Studios. I made the colors more complex (for example, put red and purple shadows in the green foliage). I also added areas of light. This week I worked only with the palette knife, rather than a brush. The palette knife produces more interesting textures and also forces me to mix colors right on the canvas. I could have worked on this for another hour, but it was time to stop. I took a quick photo with my cameraphone; the wet paint caught some reflected light (upper left corner), but this photo still gives a pretty good idea of what the painting looks like now. Although this was the last session of the oil bar class, I will keep working on this painting.

No comments: