Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Spider Mums (Pastel Makeover Day 1)


Spider Mums (Pastel Makeover Day 1)
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

This is my pastel makeover after one drawing session. My goal was to resolve the off-center composition. First, I widened the vase on its left side, moving it closer to the center. But the flowers were still off center. I did not want to draw more blooms because I had drawn these from observation. Anyway, it would have been impossible to get the same bright white, which you can only get by letting the white paper show, because I would be drawing into dark blue pastel. But to balance the composition, I needed to balance the left and right margins, so I added two buds on the left. I figured that the buds are usually a bit darker than blossoms, and because of their position, they seem to recede, which would make them look darker anyway. And buds are simple to draw. Why two buds? Maybe to echo the two blossoms on the other side. I added some leaves, guided by the shapes of the leaves I had previously drawn from observation. That was all I had time to do, but this is still a work in progress. The white mums are finished just as they are and I do not plan to touch them. But I still need to work on the buds, leaves, vase, and background (some of ended up on my sleeve.) To be continued. . .

No comments: