Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Vase of Purple and White Freesia (Oil Bar Painting Day 9)

Vase of Purple and White Freesia (Oil Bar Painting Day 9) Originally uploaded by randubnick

I went to Red Brick this morning to work on this painting for an hour or so. In the studio, the remains of the flowers are still in the vase, but there are no blossoms left, just stems and rather tired leaves. But what is left is still helpful because I can see where light should be hitting the leaves. I have been trying to add light to the blossoms and leaves to add volume to the painting and to suggest where the light is coming from (which is complicated because the vase is between two windows). Today, I concentrated on the leaves, adding light, shadow, and definition. I had to look hard to sort out what each leaf and stem was doing. To be continued. . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So - I was searching on Google for help with my wild crabapple trees that are growing all around in my woods - and this painting of yours appeared in the google results.

I just wanted to take a minute to say - absolutely love your choice of colors, and your painting is really beautiful!!