Saturday, May 05, 2007

Vase with Purple and White Freesia (Oil Bar Painting Day 6)

Vase with Purple and White Freesia (Oil Bar Painting Day 6) Originally uploaded by randubnick

Today I finally had a chance to return to Red Brick to work on this painting. I thought I would find that the flowers had wilted, but they are basically intact, despite a few fallen petals. Today I focused on the leaves and stems, using a both a palette knife and a brush. My goal was to define where each stem began and ended (including inside the vase), and also define the position of the leaves. It really helped to use a brush for the long straight lines and small spaces, but I may go back later and and add texture to the leaves with a palette knife. I am relieved to have the basics of the foliage painted in, because the flowers won't last forever. Next, I plan to work on the vase and the background. To be continued. . .

No comments: